Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sleep - Live at Outdoor Party 1992 CA (video)




1 Dragonaut
2 Evil Gypsy/Solomon's Theme
3 Aquarian
4 Hot Lava Man
5 Scourge
6 Unknown

This show is definitely a rarity as I never knew it existed until I found it on someone's list after years of searching for other footage I hadn't seen or had a copy of. It's shot from some one in the audience who actually moves around the stage quite a bit, making for some good angles. The song choices are awesome as its the only video I have even seen of Sleep performing Hot Lava Man.

Al is playing through an Orange 'Pics Only' head and cab and Matt is playing through a Laney AOR 100 and a Fender head, which I believe he just uses for clean tones. Definitely pre-Green era, but the love for 1970's tube amps is pretty apparent.

The video quality is about 8.5 out of 10, but the audio is excellent. The footage can get fuzzy at times due to the degredation of the original tape, but it's well worth seeing for any fan. Although, I guess that can be said fot most of the footage out there...

It's cool to see Sleep playing in front of such a small and casual audience. You definitely see them before their transition years, which seemed to be marked by the Hawkwind tour, where they really seemed to come into their own.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Geoff,

    I was watching this video and just wanted to thank you again.

    This is one of the most bad ass videos I've ever seen

    Thanks again bro! I hope we can do more trades in the future!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you like it, man. I had a friend over the other night and we watched a chunk and all he could say is - 'man, so weird to see them playing a small house party.'

    Let me know if you come across anything not on my list here and we can certainly work more trades. I'm hoping to find some of the 2011 stuff shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. why all the links have been deleted? is there a way to get this video somewhere else? thanks for keeping the sleep cult alive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There aren't any links - all these are available for trade, through me. Just hit me up in the comments if you have something to trade that I don't already have listed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, i have a Live at Gilman St. Berkeley, CA 11-09-91 bootleg in quite good quality to offer, and i'd like to trade it for one of your video bootlegs. Hit me up on mail: xavi8888@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I should have made mention of this earlier, but the 11/09/91 bootleg is just the 9/21/92 bootleg. Not sure which date is correct, but I'm gonna add it to the list I already have to avoid confusion in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really interested in copies of your live video boots but I don't really have anything you don't have. Interested in selling copies?


    I do have an audio of the June 5th show at Fox, Oakland

    Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would be interested in that Oakland show - hit me back via devilscoot at yahoo.com and we should be able to work something out

    ReplyDelete